Here’s a detailed guide on how to create a MetaMask wallet and connect to the Polygon (previously Matic) chain:
Step 1: Install the MetaMask Extension
- Open your web browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Brave) and go to the MetaMask website.
- Click on the “Get Chrome Extension” or “Get Firefox Add-on” button to install the MetaMask extension.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Step 2: Set Up Your MetaMask Wallet
After installing MetaMask, you’ll see the MetaMask fox icon in your browser toolbar. Click on it to open MetaMask.
You’ll be presented with the option to “Get Started” or “Import Wallet.” Choose “Get Started.”
Step 3: Backup Your Seed Phrase
After creating a password, MetaMask will generate a unique 12 or 24-word seed phrase. This is the most crucial step in securing your wallet.
Write down the seed phrase in the correct order and keep it in a safe and offline place. Do not store it digitally or share it with anyone.
Click on the words in the correct order to verify that you have recorded the seed phrase accurately.
Step 4: Connect to the Polygon Network
Once your wallet is set up, you need to connect it to the Polygon network. There are 2 ways to connect to polygon network. The easiest is through Polygonscan.
- Visit Polygonscan by clicking here: Polygonscan
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the button Add Polygon Network
If for any reason the automatic method doesn’t work, you can add the network manually:
- Click on the MetaMask fox icon in your browser toolbar to open MetaMask.
- At the top of the MetaMask window, you’ll see “Ethereum Mainnet” (or a different network if already connected). Click on it to open the network selection menu.
- Scroll down and click on “Custom RPC” to manually add the Polygon network details.
- In the “New Network” settings, enter the following details for the Polygon network:
- Network Name: Polygon (or any name you prefer)
- RPC URL: https://polygon-mainnet.infura.io/v3/YOUR_INFURA_PROJECT_ID
- Chain ID: 137
- Currency Symbol: MATIC
- Block Explorer URL: https://polygonscan.com
Step 5: Save and Connect to the Polygon Network
Click “Save” to save the network settings.
You will now see the network you added in the network selection menu.
Click on the network name to switch to the Polygon network.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a MetaMask wallet and connected it to the Polygon network. You can now use your wallet to buy / trade Drachma or any other Polygon token.